My Photo
Name:
Location: Madison, WI, United States

I am a Professor at UW - Madison in the Department of Biological System Engineering. My expertise is in farm injury prevention, worker health and well-being, and risk assessment. I am interested in ag innovation, especially when it has potential to reduce human or economic risk. I am available for individual consultation or presentations with a range of farm and ag service provider groups. Please get in touch!

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Jackpine Bob Heads off for the Ultimate Camping Trip!

Since we're going up close to Ely in a few days, this one is worth reporting as it will still likely be news when we arrive "up Nort" on Saturday. Jackpine Bob, outdoor writer for the Ely Echo died on Saturday of leukemia. I must confess that I haven't followed the guy as a regular reader, but do remember seeing an occasional column and a few scattered books at the downtown Ely bookstore that features local writers. His books included "The Big Wilderness Canoe Manual,” “Winter Camping,” “Born to Pull,” and “Tales of Jackpine Bob” (you gotta love it!). He sounds like he was a salty old cuss...In this article in the Ely Echo, the following items caught my eye (and bro-in-law Sean's):

He ran for President of the United States in 1980 as candidate of the Independent Fisherman’s Party. Lost to Ronald Reagan by 63 million votes. He was married to wife Lillian for 46 years until parted by her death. He married Edith Sommer in 1998. Both women were excellent anglers, shooters, canoe paddlers, campers. “How lucky can one guy get,” he said.


When I was in third grade, at Oak Hill Elementary, during "carrers week" we were all asked to use our little crayolas to color a depiction of what we dreamed to be in our future careers. Some task for an eight year old! My picture was that of an "outdoorsman." It was a stick guy, wearing a box hat, holding a fishing pole atop a little hill that sloped down to a blue (it might have been periwinkle) creek. Behind him was a little blazing fire and a forest-green pup tent and a couple scattered triangular pines. I'm not sure what "outdoorsman" meant, except I knew I'd be able to fish alot and sleep under the stars in my Sears & Robuck umbrella tent. Later, my Mom told me that that might be possible if I was a good writer, but that being an outdoorsman might be a tough way to feed a family.

Jackpine Bob figured out how to make it work! God bless him.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sean Roper said...

He also wrote the biography of the Root Beer Lady - Dorothy Molter!

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home