My Photo
Name:
Location: Madison, WI, United States

I am a Professor at UW - Madison in the Department of Biological System Engineering. My expertise is in farm injury prevention, worker health and well-being, and risk assessment. I am interested in ag innovation, especially when it has potential to reduce human or economic risk. I am available for individual consultation or presentations with a range of farm and ag service provider groups. Please get in touch!

Sunday, June 25, 2006

First Day Highlights - June 25, 2006


Sorry, next time my headline will be more creative...
June 25, 2006

We’ve been here 24 hours (or close to it) after an exciting ride from the Twin Cities, through Duluth, then Two Harbors where we ate at the famous “Betty’s Pies” for lunch (yes, food blog time!) Of those 24 hours, Mike and Jack have probably spent six in the water which is a warm 74 degrees (probably warmer than we’ve ever seen it here, especially given that it’s not even July yet!). Weather is as near perfect as you can get. Right now it’s approaching 4 pm. It’s about 77 degrees with very little, if any, humidity.

Fishing is slow (for now), but it will get better. The boys and I “fished” for only about a half hour and got nothing, but it wasn’t much for a trip. They insisted on casting and did a lot of griping. I think when they realized how warm it really was, their preference was to go back and swim and hang out on the trampoline. Then, Kate, her Mom and I went out for about an hour and got one little rock bass….I just ran to town for ice and ran into a couple guys just heading home with a big boat and camping gear and they said they caught three fish all weekend (Friday to mid-day Sunday).

We learned some important stuff. Zup’s is really pronounced “Zoup’s” as in chicken SOUP. We learned that the Peter Mitchell thing is struggling financially, so they want us all to pony up cash to the extent that we can. On tomorrow’s post, I’ll put up their fancy PM Days poster… We learned that Nelly loves being in a boat (seriously) and will swim in and retrieve a baseball from the water ALL day long. She’s in dog heaven. Better go freshen up for the “get to know you” social!

2 Comments:

Blogger Sean Roper said...

Spoke to a co-worker who just came back from the BWCA last week. He had luck with small mouth and some northerns (though they were small-ish). Walleye were nearly non-existant, although the one they caught was nice

12:38 PM  
Blogger Sean Roper said...

Spoke to a co-worker who just came back from the BWCA last week. He had luck with small mouth and some northerns (though they were small-ish). Walleye were nearly non-existant, although the one they caught was nice

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home